National ID Your Pet Day
Did you know?
July is National Lost Pet Prevention Month.
Learn how to keep your pets from becoming lost in this month-long observance launched by PetHub. Check out their website for helpful infographics, lost pet prevention articles, tips, tricks, and more.
July 1st is National ID Your Pet Day, which serves as an annual check-in to make sure your pets’ identification tags and microchip information is up to date. Independence Day is no holiday for pets; the sound of fireworks causes many dogs to panic and run, resulting in many lost dogs every year.
Take precautionary measures to ensure your pets stay safe this month!
Read below for some 4th of July Pet Safety 101 Tips:
- Recognize your pet’s stress & anxiety! Pets display stress differently; Know the signs and do what you can to decrease or eliminate the stress and anxiety.
- Keep your pets indoors at all times if possible.
- Completely secure your home & yard with a sturdy fence, locked doors, and look for any possible escape routes.
- Effectively restrain and maintain control over dogs out for a walk on and around the 4th of July holiday.
- Ensure that all pets – even indoor cats – have legible and up-to-date identification.
What to do in case your pet does go missing on the 4th of July?
- Conduct an effective and thorough search for any pets that go missing
- Always have recent photos of your pets handy.
- Enroll your neighbors to keep an eye open for your missing pet in the neighborhood.
- Contact all veterinary clinics, hospitals and animal shelters in your area; don’t forget about your local pet emergency hospitals.
- Be sure to include a way for people to get in touch with you! Post a “lost pet notice” on your local Facebook group, Instagram, or favorite social media page and check back daily.
Here's to a safe holiday week to all! Be sure to hug your pets and keep them close this week :)